Tuesday, March 30, 2021

Residency 1, Day 4: 'Tilting at Windmills' - Miguel de Cervantes


Today I began working on my own stuff, whilst dealing with some final aspects of the three collaborative works mentioned already. Photographs connected the mail art project had been ordered a few days ago. When they arrive it will be more clear what to do with them but one idea is simply to replace the collaged pieces I found in the envelope passed on to me with photos of those pieces, and then hand over to the next person in the relay, painter Emma Stone-Johnson.

Regarding the autonomous work, I've been revisiting the Turbogolf project, which is intended to be a significant aspect of the show in Skibbereen in 2022. For a year toy, battery powered, wind turbines have remained unpacked in the studio. Today I decided to take a few out with a view to experimenting with them, positioning in different places, maybe photographing or filming them in motion. To my disappointment, only one of the four worked when unpacked. The batteries were fine. New ones I bought did not help. I'll make contact with the various companies involved in Ireland and the Netherlands.

A steady supply of visitors appeared again today including Mark Sheerin, Tomasz Madajczak, Janina Moniska, Phil Murphy, Cecily O'Connell, and a mystery guest or two. For the most part I did not interact with them.

For a while I got thinking again about the mirror as a relatively new technology: Felix Goncalez turned up and we experimented for a bit with one.



No comments:

Post a Comment