Sunday, April 4, 2021

Residency 1, Day 9: 'People liking you or not liking you is an accident and is to do with them and not you. That goes for love too, only more so.' - Edna O'Brien


I did a lot to edit the interview with Hilary Williams, an artist who has played, and still does play, golf. The result is affecting and interesting but, for a few reasons, I may not use it. More dialogue and consideration will be necessary. Zoom was on 'record' as I walked over to the studio this morning, but it ended up capturing what was going on inside the studio, i.e. not very much, https://www.dropbox.com/s/nh58x5bw1uah7ex/GMT20210404-085414_Recording_640x360.mp4, rather than the walk itself.

The photographs sent off to print from that work done on Day 4 (see that post for the background story) had arrived. I ended up deciding to quite-meticulously cut each of the component montaged objects out of these. So what's left are smaller flatter versions of the originals. They all fit into a smaller envelope now, the sleeve the photos arrived in, in fact. So that's the mail-art job done, and sent on to Emma Stone-Johnson. Before doing so I laid all the pieces on a fully opened-out laptop keyboard and screen - I didn't realise you could do that - so that it formed one flat square-ish surface, with the original proposal email from Rupert Hartley visible on the screen. Photographing this, in turn, on the LG, from above made for a delightful Instagram post. One of the expectations with this mail-art game is that participants post there with certain hashtags and handles. I did not really have to mail the thing to Emma because her studio is down the corridor from me at APEC. There's a hell of a lot of this kind of relay work has been going on during lockdown! Jenny Odell, whom I know from Les Recontres d'Arles 2011, is right: humans find it hard to do nothing. Personally I put it down to an unnecessarily overdeveloped brain and ridiculously elaborate language ability.
This is Easter Sunday right? A big day for resurrections and insurrections, risings and perhaps erections. I had been planning to release that new simupoem - most available here https://vimeo.com/showcase/1759212 but this new one and some others are hidden: email me if you want to see 'em - connected with turbine blades, on this date but it can wait until next year. At some point I stumbled across an old pic of Second Life avatar Mocksim Zapotocky too. 



No comments:

Post a Comment